Cardstock patterns - I cut some shapes with my Cricket machine but you could free hand it or use stencils. *The shapes with less details seemed to turn out better.
Fabric - Pieces of fabric that fit your shapes, I folded my fabric pattern on the outside and traced and cut from the pattern.
Embroidery Floss - Any color you would like to use to accent your ornament.
Sewing Needle - A sewing needle that you can fit your floss into. I'm not sure what size it is.
Polyester Fill - For the stuffing I used this polyester fill I could easily put in.
Buttons - Any size or shape or color of buttons you can add to your ornament.I got a small tube of each of these at Michaels for a dollar.
Ribbon - Any kind of ribbon, I used 3/8 inch grosgrain and cut an 11 inch piece for each ornament.
Sewing machine or you can hand stitch
1. Trace and cut out your patterns onto your fabric. Fold the fabric with the pattern facing outside on both sides. Trace cardstock pattern right onto fabric with a pencil. Cut out shapes. You should have two pieces of fabric, one for the back and the front.
2. Fold ribbon at the ends and place between the two pieces of fabric.
3. Sew a straight stitch making sure you have the ribbon inserted between the fabric to ensure it will not be coming out.
4. Finish sewing a straight stitch around the outside about a 1/4 inch away from the edge of the fabric. *Don't forget to leave about 3/4 of an inch open, where you will be filling the ornament with the stuffing.
5. Add a button with a small piece of embroidery floss. I tied a knot at the end of my thread, put that on the underside of my button before I placed it on my ornament to hide it. and then went through the button to the other side 2 or three times. I wrapped the remaining thread around the backside of the button between the button and the fabric. I am sure there are other ways to end and fasten this on. This is just what I did.
6. Fill your ornament with the amount of stuffing you desire.
7. Take piece of your desired color of embroidery floss approx. 24 inches long to accent and close your ornament. I went over my sewing machine straight stitch and did a pretty close stitch with my floss to ensure it would be closed up where it was open.
It wasn't until last year I realized what a great gift a lanyard would be for my kids teachers. I used some stringing wire a lanyard hook and a large split ring with a silver bead and some crimp tubes with beads.
1. Put lanyard hook over large split ring.
2. Cut wire so there is enough length to pull over your head without having a clasp closure and string beads on.
3. Slide ends of wire through split ring and fold wire over the split ring. Make sure you have enough plain wire without beads on it that you can fold it over without having too much trouble hooking the wire on.
Hold each end of the wire together and put on your silver bead that will cover your crimp bead closest to the beads side.
4. Then slide on your crimp bead, fold over your wire so its on both sides of the split ring and put ends of wire into the crimp bead and crimp to fasten.
5. Slide ends of wire into silver bead and cut off any excess wire as desired.
I used two strands of 18" of beads which I got pretty cheap, I purchased the wire and silver beads from the craft store and the split rings and hooks from Walmart.
Here is a fill in menu schedule that I was inspired to put together for a friend who is going on a week long trip. Also my ideas of snacks, lunches and dinner that can easily be packed or made away from home. My kids are more of picky eaters so I didn't have great dinner ideas. But feel free to use how you want and add in your own ideas. Sometimes you just need a suggestion to get your ideas going. DAY 1 DAY 2 DAY 3 DAY 4 DAY 5 DAY 6 DAY 7 BREAKFAST SNACK LUNCH SNACK DINNER
TACO SALAD OUT OF DORITO BAG
APPLES/W PEANUT BUTTER
TURKEY/HAM AND VEGGIE KABOBS
APPLESAUCE WITH STRAW
PEANUT BUTTER ON TOAST
CHEESE/TURKEY HOT SANDWICH
DRIED FRUIT: RAISINS/CRAISINS
CHICKEN PATTY SANDWICHES/SALAD
MAC AND CHEESE
can also interchange lunch ideas with dinner.
APPLE/CHEESE MINI PIES
SANDWICH KABOBS- BREAD,
CELERY/W PEANUT BUTTER
can use any sort of bread, rolls, tortillas, bagels, pitas etc.
All entries must be entered by
11:59 pm 8/18/13 Winner will be announced 8/19/13 and notified item must be
"purchased" Through Miks Jewelry Shop by 8/25/13.Coupon code will be sent to winner via
personal Message. https://www.etsy.com/shop/MiksJewelryShop?ref=si_shop